Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Spicy Chinese Chicken Tacos

Today, I tried a new recipe and, for the first time, used fresh ginger. I had to look up online how to prepare it, and found this handy little video. Here's my first piece of gingerroot ever!


This recipe was very simple, and quite yummy. I only used two chicken breasts (it's all I had, and there's only one of me - so I ate some and have a few leftovers), but kept the rest of the ingredients the same. It's a little spicy and very tasty.

Spicy Chinese Chicken Tacos
{Pillsbury Fast & Healthy Cookbook}


Ingredients
1 box (4.6 oz) taco shells (12 shells)
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (3/4 lb), cut into thin bite-size strips
1 teaspoon grated gingerroot
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 large green onion, sliced
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 ½ cups shredded iceberg lettuce

Instructions
If desired, heat taco shells as directed on box.

Heat 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, gingerroot and garlic; cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until lightly browned.

Stir in soy sauce, honey, onion and pepper flakes to coat. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink the center.

To serve, place slightly less than ¼ cup chicken mixture in each taco shell. Top each with lettuce. Serve immediately. 


Here's a little action shot. It looked so good even while it was still cooking!



And here's the finished product! Yum!


I made a few minor changes... I didn't actually measure the ginger... I used a romaine mix instead of iceberg. Make it. It's yummy!


{edit} I used the leftover chicken on a salad with some honey mustard. It was fabulous, so for a slight twist on the serving options, topping a salad with this chicken would be another great option! :)

Gluten Free: Make this gluten free by using gf soy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment