Friday, June 29, 2012

Terrific Turkey Burgers

I'm not sure why I've been holding out on you so long! Ok... it might be because I thought that I'd already blogged it! It has officially been summer for 9 days, and in honor of summer, I plan to get my act together and post a "Summer Series" of recipes for you! If you haven't checked out the Quick Tea post below, that would be a lovely addition to this recipe!

Terrific Turkey Burgers
{Pillsbury Fast & Healthy Cookbook}

Prep Time: 25 min (start to finish)
Makes 8 sandwiches

Ingredients:
2lb lean (at least 90%) ground turkey
1c unseasoned dry bread crumbs
2/3c finely chopped onion
1/2c ketchup or tomato sauce
2T lemon juice
4t soy sauce
4t Worcestershire sauce
1/4t pepper
8 whole wheat burger buns, split
Lettuce, if desired

Instructions:
Heat gas or charcoal grill. In large bowl, mix all ingredients except buns and lettuce until well blended. Shape mixture into 8 patties, 1/2 inch thick.

Lightly oild grill rack. Place patties on grill over medium heat. Cover grill; cook 10 to 12 minutes, turning once, until meat thermometer inserted in center of patties reads 165 degrees (F).

Meanwhile, place buns cut sides down on grill. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Place patties in lettuce-lined buns. If desired, serve with additional ketchup and pickle slices.

To broil patties: Place a sprayed broiler pan; broil 4 to 6 inches from heat using times in the recipe as a guide, turning once. Place buns, cut side up, on broiler pan; broil 1 to 2 minutes.

How I do it: I use the recipe, and they make great turkey burgers. I do not, however, own a grill or a broiler pan. I use my George Foreman grill. I also usually form all of the burger patties, but only cook the number that I'm wanting to eat. I freeze the rest (it works best to freeze them on a flat surface first, like a cookie sheet, then to place them in a freezer safe bag or container). I freeze them, because it's only me, and there are lots of leftovers, and pull them out, defrost them lightly, then cook them when I'm feeling like a burger - talk about a quick and healthy dinner! I also eat mine on Multigrain Sandwich Thins - easily found in the bread section of your grocery store - rather than a regular bun. I just don't need or want all that bread!

--I'll add a picture next time I make one (I was sure that I had a picture somewhere... oh well!)

Nutritional Information
1 Sandwich (includes ALL ingredients - wheat bun and all)
Calories: 340
Total Fat: 9g
Carbs: 34g
Fiber: 4g

(let me know if there's something more specific you'd like the info on)

No comments:

Post a Comment