Sunday, December 16, 2012

Kitty Chow

{picture here}

I found this website and recipe through Pinterest (Have I mentioned that I have more than 350 food & drink pins?? This could go on for a very long time!). I wanted to try it out because it claims to be a "skinny" version of puppy chow.

The first issue was that I was unable to find the reduced fat version of the chocolate almond bark... I'm thinking that probably causes a bit of a problem in the "skinny" part of the recipe.

The second issue was that I loved the cereal so much that I almost ate all of it before trying the recipe!

The third issue (personal issue,  but probably wouldn't be a problem for most people) is that it was a little bit too sweet for me. And I left out the Truvia (which was an accident, but that stuff is SUPER sweet!). I think the sweet cereal with all that chocolate and the vanilla pudding mix (I'm wondering if that added to the sweet effect).

I would like to try it with chex to see how that works.

I LOVED that it made a small portion - comparatively with a traditional puppy chow. This in itself will save me... a lot of puppy chow eating. You can't eat it if it's not there! Smaller portions are helpful for those of use with a huge lack of self-control... {who, me?}

And now, on to the recipe...

Ingredients:
2 Cups Fiber one Honey Squares
4 Tablespoons “I can’t believe it’s not butter”
2 Tablespoons Creamy All Natural Peanut Butter
2 Servings Truvia all Natural Sweetener.
1 Package of Fat Free Sugar Free Vanilla Pudding Mix
2 Squares of Reduced Fat Chocolate Almond Bark

Instructions:
In a large mixing bowl melt butter, chocolate almond bark and  peanut butter. (I used the microwave)
After melted pour cereal into mixture. Stir gently.

Let the mixture cool for a good 20 minutes.

After mixture has hardened pour the mix into a large zip lock bag, add the box of pudding mix and shake gently until coated.

My Suggestions:
*I don't see the need for the Truvia. You can try it, but I seriously can't understand why you'd want it to be sweeter...
*I'm going to try with chex to see if it works. I'll report back (hoping this will cut down a bit on the sweet)
*I did not use the "I can't believe..." ... because I can believe it's not butter. I don't like it. At all. So I use an olive oil spread - which is what I used instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment